History of the Martinborough Town Hall

Frederick Charles Daniell submitted his competitive plans, carefully drawn in ink and water colour, on cream paper in 1912. These were then modified to a more affordable design by Varnham and Rose, and subsequently drawn up by Natusch and Sons of Masterton.

A 41 year loan for €3,486 pounds was taken out covered by a special rate of 1/18th of a penny in the pound ($506,755).

The loan did not quite cover cost and fundraising began to find the extra £350, (9 % of the total cost.)

Top quality materials were purchased; bricks from Silverstream, Oregon Pine, and Heart Matai timbers for construction and flooring, with Rimu for doors and joinery.

The Foundation Stone was unveiled by Walter Buchanan MP on 17th September only nine months after the competition for design was initially advertised.

The Green Room on the Northern side was the original site of the Town Board Office and Council Chamber until 1952.

Architectural Features
The stage in the Martinborough Town Hall was designed for live performances with a historic Proscenium Arch defining the stage area.

Acoustically the Town Hall is unamplified, yet renowned for its crisp, dry sound.

South Wairarapa District Council