Event Management

The South Wairarapa District is a great place for a major event. If you want to hold a large or multi-day event there are a few things that you need to organise to help make sure it is enjoyable for visitors and residents.
Here is a list of things that you should work with Council officers on before you finalise the plans for your event, and the Event Application Form you will need to complete:
Food registration and alcohol licences
At your event will you or any vendors:
  • Prepare food on location
  • Sell food
  • Sell alcohol
Email the Environmental Health department or ring 06 306 9611 at least 40 days before the event for licensing and registration requirements.  If you know the licences you need, visit our Health Licenses and Registration page.
Will your event need to:
  • Manage traffic and pedestrians
  • Temporarily close a road
Please provide a traffic management plan to the Infrastructure and Services department or ring 06 306 9611 to discuss your traffic issues. If you need to close a road you will need to make an application at least two months before the event. Contact the Infrastructure and Services department on 06 306 9611 to discuss the requirements.
Building consent
At your event will you or any vendors have:
  • Tents or marquees over 100m2 being used for less than one month
  • Tents or marquees under 100m2 being used for longer than one month
  • Platforms or staging over 1.5m high
  • Portable buildings
Email the Building department or ring 06 306 9611 for building consent application information. Please note a building consent takes up to 20 working days and cannot be processed unless all relevant information is provided.  If you know the building consent form you need, visit our Building consents page.
Resource consent
Does your event need to:
  • Operate outside the hours of 7am and 10pm
  • Run for more than five days (separate or consecutive) in any six-month period
  • Use amplifiers or sound systems
  • Have extra lighting
  • Have signs on other sites
These and other things trigger the need for resource consent. Email the Planning department or ring 06 306 9611 to see if your proposal will need resource consent. Please note a notified resource consent (if required) can take three months or more so contact us as early as possible.  If you know you'll need resource consent, download the Resource Consent Application Form and get started after talking to the Planning department.
Campground registration
At your event will you or any vendors:
  • Have a temporary campground
Email the Environmental Health department, visit our health licences and registration page or ring 06 306 9611 at least 40 days before the event for registration requirements.

South Wairarapa District Council