Welcome to the Wairarapa
The South Wairarapa District Council welcomes campers and encourages you to explore everything our region has to offer, from the wild coast to native bush, lively towns and tranquil vineyards.
Campers are asked to stay in holiday parks, designated Council camping sites or DOC camping areas. If you want to access freedom camping areas you need a fully self-contained vehicle that includes a toilet, shower and waste water facilities.
General information about holiday parks, camping areas and freedom camping across New Zealand can be found at www.camping.org.nz
. If you are in the area, visit the Fitzherbert Street Information Centre in Featherston, and the i-site at 18 Kitchener Street, Martinborough for more tourist information.
There are five main holiday parks in the South Wairarapa:
Council Camping Areas
- Ngawi Camping Area – On the coastal side of Cape Palliser Road, opposite Ngawi settlement.
- North Tora Camping Area – On the coastal side of Tora Farm Settlement Road, at the Awhea River mouth.
- South Tora Camping Area - On the coastal side of Tora Farm Settlement Road, south of Awheaiti Stream (Note: campervans and caravans not permitted on this fragile site).
- Te Awaiti Camping Area – Between Te Awaiti Road and Oterei River.
- Lake Domain Reserve - On the northern shores of Lake Wairarapa just outside Featherston. Drive down Murphy's Line and follow the Wairarapa Moana signs.
The camping area is on the right when you get to the lake.
Camping Area Development Plan
In 2013 the Council and the community considered upgrade options for the coastal camping areas. The following concept plans were approved in July 2013, and work will be undertaken as reserve funds allow:
DOC Camping Areas
Dump stations are available throughout the district for servicing motor homes and self contained campervans. Disposal of human waste should only be undertaken at dump stations. Disposal in any other location is an offence and could result in infringements or prosecution. Dump stations can be found at the following locations:
Refuse and Transfer Stations
Help us keep our district beautiful by using rubbish bins when possible, or by taking your rubbish with you. Check the opening times and days for our district's refuse and transfer stations